Sunday, February 3, 2013

New year - New purpose

Four years ago I started running after nearly 30 years away from it.  My purposes for starting back up were good, solid, strong reasons.  I still hold to those purposes, however the motivation that gets me out the door is very different this year.  Pretty much all the variables have changed from four years ago.

I had been gone all weekend, sometimes physically, sometimes mentally.  I left a meeting in Des Moines this afternoon and the sun shone down on me, the sky opened up, and it was beautiful!  I couldn't wait to get home.  All the way home I couldn't help but think how awful the dreadmill was earlier this week.  Will it be that bad outside?  I had to try.  I called Bill to get ready when I walked in the house.

We both have been fighting a cold, stress, and other external excuses.  I just couldn't let this day go by however.  As much as I really didn't want to go out, a part of me from my past wanted me to get there.  I had to do it for me!  It was another good therapy session on the road.  Yeah I need a superhero.

I used to be motivated by PRs, speed, and the usual competitive sorts.  I was like a drug addict that needed that high at the end of a run.  This year I feel like running has become therapy.  I think this shift has had contributed to other variables I am experiencing too.  The dedication to every run isn't there.

On the last run, I had some weird sweating issues that I've had off and on before.  When I wipe my brow, it feels like acidic sand paper scrubbing against my skin; it's very painful.  Ideas??



Temperature: 30 degrees
Weather: beautiful, light breeze, overcast
Motivation level: 5
Energy level: 6
Today's Quote: "That's why the first step out the door is always so hard. That's when we choose between settling for average and being a superhero version of ourselves."


today's mileage: 5 mile running
weekly mileage: 10 miles running
monthly mileage: 5 miles running; 3/28
annual mileage: 43 miles running; 34 miles walking; 0 miles riding; 0 miles swimming
TOTAL mileage: 77 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment