Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Postman

"Not rain, nor sleet, nor driving winds will keep these runners from finishing their run."  That's my postal quote for today.  Yes, we ran in 38mph gusting winds today.  Looking at the forecast and comparing it to our crazy schedule this weekend we chose the forging winds.  This was a great test of endurance, determination, and dedication today.  

The first few miles were nasty!  I had such problems starting with my watch.  I had a feeling there would be issues when it couldn't "find satellites".  The bar would almost get to the end and then back up about 1/2 way and start again.  I tried to restart the watch, but it was going to clear all history.  It finally took off and starting counting mileage.  Yeah, the watch was about 1/2 mile behind us, but kept time and mileage all the way through the run.

Once we got the watch going about 1/2 mile into it, we were about out of town headed around the Ethanol Loop.  The winds really started blowing, almost stopping us in our tracks.  We put our head down and forged onward.  At the turn I thought Bill was going to stop and turn back to town.  I stopped to walk a bit, catch my breath, and encourage him to keep going.  "We're still moving forward!"  Rachael was having an awesome run.  Her shoe came untied about 1/4 mile later and Bill #winkwink graciously encouraged her to stop and tie it.  

Well, we made it to the end of the 8 mile run today and about 3-4 miles into it I really starting to feel good.  While I don't think a full marathon would have worked today, I think I could have done a half easily.  This will be one we will reference for awhile into the future.  Remember that day with the 38mph winds...?


Temperature: 48 degrees
Weather: 24mph NW winds, gusting to 38mph
Motivation level: 5
Energy level: 6
Today's Quote: Not rain, nor sleet, nor driving winds will keep these runners from finishing their run.


today's mileage: 8 mile running
weekly mileage: 20 miles running
monthly mileage: 33 miles running; 19/31
annual mileage: 33 miles running; 0 miles riding; 0 miles swimming
TOTAL mileage: 51 miles

2 comments:

  1. I understand the wind!! When I ran my 18 mile run on Friday afternoon it was very windy as well!! I don't think I encountered 38 mph gusts, but the winds were very strong. To go with you quote of the day, here is a quote from my mother..."That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger!!" Not only was it good physical training, but good mental training as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, oh @vardotrichic I thought of you often on this run and that quote rang true the whole time. I'm getting stronger, I'm getting stronger, I'm getting stronger. :) Yes, both physically and mentally.

    ReplyDelete