Saturday, January 5, 2013

31 in 31 with Stella

Stella: my newest
running partner
While browsing various sites on the internet, I came across a 31 in 31 challenge.  This is just what I needed: get out daily for at least one mile in each of the 31 days in January.   While November and December are depressing months for me when I gain weight and do little exercise, January is the month to have a fresh start.  The "spare tire" is a little more inflated than usual and this challenge is just what I need!  One thing that I miss when it's nice outside is going out for a walk with Bill after supper.  It's great for my mental and physical wellness.

This week we got a new puppy this week: Stella.  This was her given name from the vet and it stuck with the kids so we kept the name.  She is definitely all puppy and known to need lots of exercise.  Given this, I want to train her to be my running partner.  I've always wanted a canine beside me on the road.  I solicited training advice from @Vardotrichic and we are trying some new things.  So far we have learned to walk on a leash and even got outside to do an actual walk!  Twice yesterday we ran her a block.  She got pretty tired and all of a sudden sat down when she needed a break.  A block at a time, right?  She is such a sweet puppy that loves to be around people.  Right now she is limited to the basement.  The kids love to watch movies snuggling with her on the couch.  When we eat supper, she will come up the stairs at sit at the back door staring at us.  If we don't watch her, she will run through the house.  I think this is a good match for all of us.



Temperature: 19 degrees
Weather: light breeze, partly cloudy
Motivation level: 5
Energy level: 8
Today's Quote: God has given me the ability. The rest is up to me.

today's mileage: 3 mile running
weekly mileage: 6 miles running
monthly mileage: 6 miles running; 5/31
annual mileage: 6 miles running; 0 miles riding; 0 miles swimming
TOTAL mileage: 11 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment