Sunday, May 6, 2012

What?! No running?

After my last post I realized I haven't run yet this week.  Wait a minute.....I haven't run yet this MONTH!  I need to get out there and pound some pavement, not just roll over it!

After supper I told Bill to get his shoes on because we were going running.  My goal was an Ethanol Loop - 5 miles - but when Bill came home he said the winds all of a sudden came up.  We have been having nightly storms roll through with nasty high winds so we decided to just run around town.  While running, we made some observations.
1. Running really takes more work.  It got my heart rate up so I was panting most of the way.  OKOK I really need that!
2. Biking you can coast and still get somewhere.  Yeah, you can "coast" while running, but it's just not the same; you stop.
3. According to Bill, you can take in the scenery more on a bike.  I think we're opposites with this.  I tend to look around more and enjoy my surrounds while running, which is probably why I don't like running in town all the time - I need a change of scenery!
4. The miles tick off more slowly while running.  Duh, you're moving so much slower.  I know it's obvious, but to knock off 20 miles riding is different than 4 miles running.  Bill says you are actually getting somewhere.

Early last week he really cautioned me about working up to a 20-mile ride.  He thought I was crazy for just going out and biking that much.  He mentioned tonight that it was great, other than a few hills, to ride like that.   Shhh, don't tell, but I might be able to talk him into some duathlons!


today's mileage: 4 miles running
weekly mileage: 4 miles running; 47 miles riding
monthly mileage: 4 miles running; 47 miles riding
annual mileage: 214 miles running; 59 miles riding
TOTAL mileage: 273

No comments:

Post a Comment