Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Bad math

Yep, my math skills are really shinning again.  #oops  This morning I realized yesterday I posted the correct number of laps, but forgot to take into account that the laps were only half as long!  Now I need even more math to make up for my error!  I really did 1000m and not 2000 meters yesterday.  However, today I completed 2000 meters so I'm posting the reverse for today and yesterday.

After my lesson this week I had something new to work on for my Wednesday swim.  I was excited to see how my mind had gotten this figured out.  I got to Furman and realized I forgot my lap-counting rocks!!  After a mild heart attack, I decided to just use 10 pennies I had in the van.  Not my preference, but it worked.  My parents were coming to our house today to celebrate 3 birthdays this week!  Between all this chaos, I think I may have been distracted since I didn't have the best swim and often focused on what needed to be done outside of swimming.  I also think I'm getting a little panicked for a triathlon I'm thinking of doing a few weeks.

I was really going to focus on the rotation and NOT using the kick board today.  I got in the water and did a few laps.  I should have known it wasn't going to be a good day.  My breathing was a little crazy and I often felt like I was gasping for air.  Maybe I should have taken an allergy pill before leaving home today.

During the warm up I used the kick board just to get a feel for the water again.  I was exhausted and couldn't get to the other end of the pool!  I finally decided to do my torpedo drills that Vardotrichic showed me.  I love that drill, but feel so clumsy in the water.  I can't swim a straight line and have to keep my head above water for what seems like an eternity to get air.  I did get a nice mild burn in my calves going 50m instead of just 25m on my own, without fins so I know I was doing it right.

Once I turned back to the regular swim stroke again, I realized I was sinking during the breathing part of the rotation.  Once I flipped back to horizontal I popped back out on top of the water.  It almost became comical.  At first I remembered Vardotrichic telling me that I needed to kick harder to stay afloat so I tried that and became very exhausted.  Before she left she asked how things were going and we talked about this and she suggested opening my chest/shoulders.  I spent the next 20 mins trying to figure that out so I don't know if it really helped or not.

Since breathing became an issue again, I started doing some bobbing, similar to a breast stroke, to force myself to take short, but big breaths, and then return my face to the water.  It seems that I have no problem breathing doing that, but can't seem to get enough air to continue with the crawl all the way across the pool.  I put the fins on a few times for the torpedo, but still struggled to breath out the side.  I really thought about my hips.  Someday I'll get this all working together, but I really feel like I'm running out of time fast!



today's mileage: 1000m swimming
weekly mileage: 3 miles running; 1.5625 miles swimming
monthly mileage: 21 miles running; 3.375 miles swimming
annual mileage: 318 miles running; 206 miles riding; 6.75 miles swimming
TOTAL mileage: 537


IRONWHAWK #2
running:  49 miles
riding: 15 miles
swimming: 4.35 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment