Friday, July 6, 2012

Solo clinics


At the beginning of each week I post the weekly events for the Iron Hawk Challange.  Little did I know how insanely HOT it would be this week.  I knew it would be a warm week so I was so very glad that I decided to start the runs early this week.

So, at 5:30 I got Rachael up and we headed out on an Ethanol Loop.  We ran past the school first to see if anyone was there.  Nope.  We passed along and headed out of town.  I was having a great run.  The mile was the hardest, but I just kept thinking about what I was reading in my book, 50/50 by Dean Karnazes and kept going.

Rachael had a hard finish so told her to stay at home and I'd finish the last 2 runs.  I went to school and walked around for a few minutes and then took off.  I got about 2 blocks from school and someone was driving up to school and stopped to ask if she could join me.  Of course!  I thought I wouldn't have anyone today because of the heat.  I turned around at met her at school.  We completed 2.5 miles.

Once that was done, I ran past school again to see if anyone was there and it was as dead as before so I just ran around the circle drive and kept going for the last mile.  While I had one taker, it was really a solo run this morning.

In one chapter, Dean talks about doing a "runabout".  It's similar to a walkabout in Australia, but it's running instead.  He goes out for 24 hours with no direction nor route in mind, just a phone and a credit card, maybe some fluids.  He suggests running, walking, jogging, anything, just keep moving one foot in front of the other!  He was on a 200-mile run once and at mile 168 sat alongside the road and didn't think he could take another step!  What!?  How do you go 168 miles and not be able to finish another 32?  He eventually did, but it's good to know even the top runners struggle.  These were the thoughts that I used to keep going today and it felt great!  I'm sure a 2 week hiatus helped, too.  


today's mileage: 9 miles running
weekly mileage: 9 miles running; 1600m swimming
monthly mileage: 12 miles running; 1.8125 miles swimming
annual mileage: 309 miles running; 206 miles riding; 5.1875 miles swimming
TOTAL mileage: 528


IRONWHAWK #2
running:  40 miles
riding: 15 miles
swimming: 2.7875 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment