Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Return of heat

The 2-week hiatus meets heat stroke!  There is a heat advisory forecasted for today starting around 7 this morning lasting until late Saturday!  This is not a good week to be outdoors trying to complete Ironman distances.  #sigh

When I went to bed last night I was going to get up early and beat the heat to go out for an Ethanol Loop (5 miles).  I was too comfy in bed and didn't want to get up.  Bill got up and when I opened my eyes he had his running clothes on!!  WTH?  He talked about doing a short bike ride so I asked what he was doing and he said he was going for a run.  I charged the Garmin so I said, "Wait!  I'll go with you."  That was the motivation I needed!  I drug myself out of bed and put some clothes on.  It wasn't too hot and even a very light, cool breeze from the south.  We completed 3 miles.  It's not what I wanted, but I was dripping with sweat as if I completed a full marathon.

I wanted to get back in the water again, too, so I swallowed some pride and went to the Jewell pool.  The water felt great!  I tried a number of things in the water today.  I am questioning if I'm really breathing again or not.  The pool here is only 25m so I felt like was making the motions, but not really taking a breath, like the first time Vardotrichic watched me.  So, I started holding the kick board and blowing out, lifting my head straight up to breathe and then back in the water.  This made me realize that the arm motions wear me out!  I felt like I could get from one end of the pool to the other easily without being worn out and breathing well.  However, once I put the arm motions back in, I am pooped at the other side of the pool.  Ideas vardo?  Having said this, I think I am making progress.  I threw out the kick board a couple times and tried to go alone and it seemed to work!  When I got tired, my arms came down prematurely, but I think I'm making progress!  I also discovered that I am more efficient (?faster?) when I pull my arms straight down through the water.  I don't know how else to describe whatever I'm doing when they are not straight down, but they aren't.

Although I am completing some good events and mileage with the IronHawk, I feel like I am in a real slump with running.  I have the desire, but it seems to not be working this year.  I have had difficulty ever since the accident completing mid and long runs.  I can complete them, just not running the whole thing.  I even went to the library and got a couple of books on marathoning and triathloning.  I'm hoping that helps to spark my drive again.


today's mileage: 3 miles running; 1300m swimming
weekly mileage: 3 miles running; 1300m swimming
monthly mileage: 3 miles running; .8125 miles swimming
annual mileage: 300 miles running; 206 miles riding; 4.1875 miles swimming
TOTAL mileage: 519


IRONWHAWK #2
running:  31 miles
riding: 15 miles
swimming: 1.7875 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment