Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A slow tri-ing day

I discovered I'm doing a triathlon today - not in the order they were intended, but each event was achieved today.  This morning I ran with someone who wanted to start running so asked if I would help her out.  I was able to giver some pointers and keep her moving.  She wanted to do a run/walk for a mile so we ran 1-2 blocks and then walked a block.  It was a good way to get her moving.  I then went out for a ====fast 2 miles, like 8:42 pace!  Yep, maintained that for a couple miles to the finish line.  I needed that.  It felt great!

I'm 42 years old, have given birth to more than my share of children, and I can't breathe!  Yes, I admit it.  I did go to a support group this afternoon though so I will get better.  Mr and Mrs Vardotrichic - THANK YOU!  Who knew I needed a breathing lesson and not a swimming lesson. lol  I really thought I would be sore and exhausted, but what I learned most was to go slow.  The goggles were a definite bonus!  With running and biking I really try to push myself, but with swimming I have to slow down.  Breathing was hard and I feel like I am gasping for air sometimes, but I think I can do this.  I am definitely stronger breathing on the right than the left, and I need to conquer fear, just like I did in running.  I remember a few posts early running that I was afraid of the Ethanol Loop, or I was afraid of hills, or a 10-mile run.  This is the same.  I'm afraid of drowning.  I would not have ever thought I had a fear of water - I swam everyday as a kid and loved it!  This is good for me, keep pushing me Vardotrichic!

I made a big supper tonight and then Bill and I took off on the bikes for an ice cream ride.  I think I have made some big improvements in the past few weeks in bike handling.  I can take a drink while moving without using the entire lane of traffic!  lol  I can also give a thank you wave to vehicles who move over for me and make hand traffic signals while maintaining a straight line.  I am getting much better at shifting, but can tell I need to get a tune up - the gears don't work the best and I think they're getting stretched out.  The middle gear up front paired with the high gear in the back just won't  work.  That is my favorite combo!
We headed out and were making some good time - 18-19mph for most miles.  When we got to Story we slowed a bit. The winds were in our face and the hills like none we've seen yet on bikes on the return trip.  Somehow they didn't seem too bad going south with the wind.  When we got to Story we ended up at Dairy Queen.  Hmmm, imagine that!  We were at a 1/2 marathon.  Bill was a bit nervous getting back to Jewell because he hadn't been over 20 yet.  We had a good mile that broke 20mph on the way back.  Yeah, that was fun!  When we got back to town, we were at a marathon distance, so we just putzed around town to kill off that last mile.



today's mileage: 3 miles running; 500m swimming (.3125 miles); 27 miles riding
weekly mileage: 7 miles running; 500m swimming; 27 riding
monthly mileage: 32 miles running; 102 miles riding; 1.125 miles swimming
annual mileage: 278 miles running; 181 miles riding; 1.125 miles swimming
TOTAL mileage: 469

No comments:

Post a Comment