Wednesday, June 13, 2012

SUCCESS!!

I did it.  I feel so accomplished!  I went to my Wednesday swim session. My goal was to conquer the breathing.  I knew I could do it.  I thought ok, I'll do a lap practicing the breathing and then a "normal" lap.  Nope, I did a regular lap just to get warmed up and then it was breathing practice the rest of the time.  I brought some Mancala rocks with me so I wouldn't have to focus on lap counting, but rather breathing.  That worked GREAT!

The breathing took a little to get going, but by about the 3rd lap I had something that worked.  I mentally kept going back to pointers from the vardos.   I finally figured out I had to "snort" right before coming out of the water: blowblowblowblowSNORT.  I think that also helped to blow some of the water off my face so I could take a breath.  I had a few times when I accidentally sucked in some water, but didn't panic, just snorted and kept going.  That is a huge step forward!

While I should be taking one breath to every 3 strokes, I think my breathing isn't quite that good yet so I did a lap breathing on the right, then one on the left, with a breath every 2 strokes.  This made me notice something else and I was able to breath without lifting my head straight out of the water.  I had to consciously think about rotating my head to wet the top/back of my head, but it worked.  I know every time I lift it out.  I guess being conscious of it is the first step to making that change.  It's by no means perfect, but definitely an improvement!

The goggles were great!  I think this has made a big difference, too.  I am still shocked that I have a fear of water, well at least drowning.  I'm not sure where this originated, but it still haunts me a bit.  Being able to see where I am and where I'm going is a good thing.   I love seeing the bottom of the pool.  Unfortunately, I also see a ton of floaties in the water.  yuck!  That's really disgusting.  The first few times to the deep end I panicked however.  There was such a huge drop-off!  I wanted to suck in a big mouthful of air, but was underwater so that obviously didn't work too well.   After a few laps, I calmed down and was able to get past that hurdle.

To keep from getting tired, I walked the hump and swam the deep.  The pool is humped and it's more shallow in the middle.  This is when I would walk.  The ends are deeper so I would breath during the deeper ends.  Eventually I was able to go farther and farther into the shallow.  I think I could have gone the full 50m of the pool, but I didn't want to wear out before I was done.

I tried a lap without the kickboard and wow that was different.  I realized I really push down on the kickboard when I'm taking a stroke.  As soon as one arm left the water, the other started downward.  Yeah, even I know I need to keep my arm straight out in front.  This will be my next hurdle to cross.  I CAN DO THIS!

OK wait a minute.  I went to the group swim today for the Iron Hawk Challenge.  Yeah, I was pooped.  I think I'll have a nap.

today's mileage: 3600m swimming (2.25 miles)
weekly mileage: 7 miles running; 3700m swimming; 27 riding
monthly mileage: 32 miles running; 102 miles riding; 3.375 miles swimming
annual mileage: 278 miles running; 181 miles riding; 3.375 miles swimming
TOTAL mileage: 469

1 comment:

  1. Nice Job today!! I KNOW you can do this!! Remember..."Rome wasn't built in a day" :)

    ReplyDelete